Tuesday, 30 June 2015

The difference: Xrm.Page.data.refresh() vs Xrm.Utility.openEntityForm(entityName, id) in Practice

Brief post here, Assuming, in the ribbon, I have successCallback function that will refresh the form.
Then, in the form onLoad I have script to show Form Notification.

Now, I want to research the difference of those function usages.

image

Now, In the Submit Button SuccessCallback() I have specified one is using .refresh() and another one is using the .openEntityForm()

Xrm.Page.data.refresh()

What happened after I put it in the code?

image

It is just refreshing the Form like a modal popup async and it is fast!

image

But..It does not trigger my notification onLoad(), it did not reload the whole form.

Now, the second research:

Xrm.Utility.openEntityForm()

image

Well, it is really refreshing and reloading your form, like you were opening a new window of entity record.

image

And here is the result after it comes back.

image

*My Notification which i put in the formLoad is appearing, different from the first function result I used before.

Hope this can make you clear which function you’d like to use!

As I know, both are also refreshing the ribbon without additional ribbon refresh function based on my research.

*additional one on 19 October 2015
the Xrm.Page.data.refresh() function will not refresh the whole thing, so you might find that the footer is not updated like this:



Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. Great post, it's good to know the options when refreshing in Javascript

    keep up the great blog posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really helpful. Thanks for the research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It also does not refresh the Business Process Flow (in CRM 2016 Online). Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add a modifiedon attribute and attach your onload event to that

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    โรงพิมพ์นนทบุรี

    ReplyDelete

My Name is..